- beautiful writing showing
- engaging characters in
- science fiction or fantasy settings.
- Length: 1 – 10,000 words, firm. We prefer 1,000-6,000. Prose only; no poetry.
- Reprints: No. (But see Translations below)
- Simultaneous: Yes.
- Multiple: No.
- Serial: No serials or excerpts unless they function as complete standalone stories.
- Format: Use our template, an anonymized version of William Shunn’s, or something similar. ODT, DOC, DOCX.
- No names: We don’t have a perfectly anonymous process (Submittable makes that difficult), but we do what we can. Please ensure that your submission does not show your name, e-mail address, or other identifying information in your document. Submissions that are not anonymized will be rejected, and must wait another week to resubmit. If you don’t wait a week, we’ll reject the piece outright, with no chance to resubmit.
- Rewrites: No. We don’t accept revisions unless we specifically solicit them.
- Translations: Stories that have been published in another language but not in English may be submitted. If we accept a translated story, we’ll ask for exclusive English rights, and non-exclusive rights in the original language. If (as we usually do), we ask for revisions, we’ll have to discuss whether they’re merely a matter of prose quality or require substantive changes to the story.
Rights and pay
- We pay: $.01/word, on acceptance, via PayPal.*
- We buy the following rights:
- worldwide electronic – to post the story on our website – exclusive for 6 months from the date of purchase, non-exclusive for the life of the magazine.
- non-exclusive print and electronic:
- to include the story in monthly, quarterly, and annual anthologies covering the period when the story is originally published in our magazine.
- to include the story in special limited edition issues sent to financial backers.
- to include the story in a best-of anthology published within the calendar year after the story is originally published in our magazine.
- non-exclusive audio rights
- Contract: a sample contract is here.
*If your country does not take PayPal (is not on this list), we’ll try to work something out on a case by case basis.
How we respond
- Tracking – we aim to respond within a week of submission. You can track our responses on Submission Grinder or Duotrope.
- Feedback – we give brief, blunt feedback when we can, to those who request it. Sometimes it’s nothing, sometimes it’s a one-word suggestion of what to focus on, sometimes it’s a few sentences on what we see as weak points.
- Revision – we’re a demanding market. Most stories we publish have gone through 3-4 rounds of revision.
- Timing – we try to answer most submissions within 24 hours, though sometimes travel or other obligations slow us down. Stories in our ‘maybe’ pile are generally reviewed on the weekend. Please don’t query until two weeks have passed.
Jack Vance, Roger Zelazny, Patricia McKillip, Richard Llewellyn, Arthur C. Clarke, Richard Adams, A. A. Attanasio, Ursula K. Le Guin, George R. R. Martin, Sean Stewart, Richard Cowper, Walter M. Miller, Jr., Theodore Sturgeon, Samuel Delany, James Thurber
For cover art guidelines, click here.