Three Day Nerve Crackers
If these don't put the zing in your central nervous system, nothing will.
This is a simple recipe, but does take a fair amount of planning, as well as quite a lot of work. It provides a nice workout, though, in addition to being very tasty. One bite of the final product, and you won’t be tired at all.
Credit: B. Morris Allen
- 4 Voranian nuggle darts
- 1 gram Rigelian snifkles
- 80 liters salty (Mg-Cl2) seawater in a sturdy vanadium pot.
- The tricky part, of course, is capturing the nuggle darts. Vorania is such a harsh environment that even the plants don’t stay put, and nuggle darts are notoriously rapid. My advice – hire an expert.
- Once you have the darts netted, crack off the stem and let it fly away; it confuses predators and gives true nuggle dart seeds a better chance of germinating.
- Without the stems, the nuggle darts are motionless. With a basalt mortar and pestle, grind the darts into a fine powder. Five or six hours should do it. A Terran might do it in two. (They may be grotesque, but they’re very strong.)
- Sort the snifkles by size. Add them to the seawater starting from largest to smallest.
- When all the snifkles have dissolved, add the ground nuggle darts. Try to do it from a distance. I find a nice underhand throw does the trick. Corvians may want to use a blast shield, or an environment suit.
- Once the steam has cleared, you’ll find that what remains is a nice thick crust on the bottom and sides of your pot. Scrape it off, and press it into crackers while it’s still slightly moist.
- Enjoy! One cracker should keep you awake for about three standard days. Don’t eat two.